Lesson summary for:
Selection and evolution with a deck of cards
To rate this resource, click a star:
This classroom exercise introduces the concept of evolution by natural selection in a hypothesis-driven, experimental fashion, using a deck of cards.
Evolution: Education and Outreach
1-2 class periods
The standard exercise is suitable for upper-level high school (AP) and introductory biology students at the college level.
- Artificial selection provides a model for natural selection.
- Evolution results from selection acting upon genetic variation within a population.
- Natural selection acts on the variation that exists in a population.
- Populations, not individuals, evolve.
- A hallmark of science is exposing ideas to testing.
- Rates of evolution vary.
Comment on this resource
Share how you used this resource in your classroom, suggestions for modifying it, and whether you liked using it.
<< Back to search results